IMPROVE YOUR CURRENT COURSES WITH A REDESIGN
If you’ve taught an asynchronous online course and know what works and what doesn’t, it’s time to reflect on and improve the course. A redesign is ideal for a course currently approved and offered by the curriculum office as a UW online asynchronous course (“A” modality designation on the Time Schedule).
This asynchronous course could be a previously built Continuum course, designed by a third-party vendor or faculty-created. For a first-time asynchronous offering, please see New Asynchronous Online Course Development.
How We work
With a redesign, our team of learning design professionals will take a holistic view of your existing asynchronous course to help you identify and implement design and content revisions. In addition to structural changes, we’ll also address any accessibility updates needed to keep your course in line with UW’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion framework, which creates an excellent online experience for both you and your students.
After discussing your desired updates, we’ll create a project plan and work collaboratively with you for about two quarters to review and re-develop any aspects of the existing course. Alongside curriculum updates, our instructional media team can film new scripted lectures, interviews or hands-on tutorials to enhance your course content. The media team will also handle your course’s video editing, ADA captioning and video hosting.
As the redesign comes together, our instructor development team is available to help you review current best practices in online learning and to assist with any questions you may have about the technology or Canvas. Finally, our course production team will build the course in Canvas and prepare it for launch.
Design and Development Time:
250 LE hours, within approximately two quarters of collaboration.
- Assigned Learning Experience (LE) team for the duration of the project, including a project manager, learning designer, media producer and course producer
- Regular access to individual or small group coaching sessions for instructors on teaching strategies and effective use of learning technologies
- Support for all aspects of course design, including:
- Reviewing learning outcomes
- Redesigning assessments and assignments
- Redesigning content layout
- Producing new video scripts and storyboards
- Media production resources, including:
- Video editing
- Motion graphics
- Schedule and deliverables managed by LE project manager
- Support for the creation of the course in Learning Management System (LMS), including:
- Updating course pages
- Embedding new media resources
- Updating redesigned assignments and assessments
- Online course quality review, including:
- Redesigned course orientation and structure
- Updated accessibility
- Redesigned opportunities for students to receive feedback
- Quality assurance review at launch by course production team, including:
- Checking all links
- Ensuring all video and other multimedia functions as designed
- Checking for confusing or circular instructions