Create a NEW ASYNCHRONOUS ONLINE COURSE
Designated by an “A” modality on the Time Schedule, asynchronous online courses are courses where students and instructors always interact with others and engage course materials asynchronously. While there are not regularly scheduled or required synchronous class meetings, students are expected to meet all assignment deadlines and may be asked to schedule occasional, brief one-on-one check-in meetings with the instructors.
Asynchronous courses can reach more students and provide greater flexibility in scheduling. Whether you are looking to build from your current classroom, remote course, or create a brand new one, our team of learning design professionals can help you design, develop and implement best practices for high-quality online learning.
How We work
Our process starts with learning more about your course, your students, the best ways to present your material and what you want to accomplish. Next, we’ll help you choose the path that works best for your goals, compile a project plan and work with you for about two quarters to develop all aspects of an online course.
Alongside curriculum development, we’ll collaborate to create accessible and inclusive course content. Our instructional media team will film scripted lectures, interviews or hands-on tutorials to enhance your course content and impact. The media team will also handle your course’s video editing and ADA captioning.
As the course content comes together, our instructor development team can help you review best practices in online learning and assist with any questions you may have about the technology or Canvas platform. Finally, our course production team will build the course in Canvas and prepare it for launch.
Design and Development Time:
500 LE hours, within about two quarters of collaboration, for faculty the time needed is approximately equivalent to teaching one 5 credit course.
- Assigned Learning Experience (LE) team for the duration of the project, including a project manager, learning designer, media producer and course producer
- Regular access to individual or small group coaching sessions for instructors on teaching strategies and effective use of learning technologies
- Support for all aspects of course design, including:
- Learning outcomes
- Assessments and assignments
- Written content development
- Video scripts and storyboards
- Media production resources, including:
- Video editing
- Motion graphics
- Schedule and deliverables managed by an LE project manager
- The creation of the course in a Learning Management System (LMS), including:
- Course pages
- Media resources
- Assignments and assessments
- Online course quality review, including:
- Course orientation and structure
- Opportunities for students to receive feedback
- Quality assurance review at launch by course production team, including:
- Checking all links
- Ensuring all video and other multimedia functions as designed
- Checking for confusing or circular instructions