Academic colleges, schools and departments (academic units) have the responsibility for, and sole discretion in, identifying, appointing and determining appropriate compensation for faculty in fee-based degree programs and credit courses. Each fee-based degree program covers faculty and non-faculty instructional costs, which become part of general departmental faculty resources.


Academic units must hire, appoint and make payroll entries in Workday for all faculty in fee-based degree programs. Faculty in fee-based degree programs are subject to the same rules, rights and benefits as other faculty under the faculty code and UW Policy.

Faculty may be tenured, tenure-track, without tenure (WOT) or part-time, depending upon the needs of the specific degree program. If a fee-based degree program cannot sustain tenured or tenure-track faculty because of program termination, the college, campus or school permanently commits to their support by moving them to fee-based, state-assisted or other funding sources.

The faculty in fee-based degrees have the same teaching load as faculty in tuition-based programs, as defined by the academic unit. When necessary, faculty may teach for additional compensation during the first three years of a fee-based degree program. Other compensation should follow the University Human Resources and the University Academic Human Resources policies and procedures.

The faculty of the home department, school, college or campus, must approve a fee-based degree program. In exchange for additional FTE faculty, they agree as a group to teach the number of classes that constitutes a full teaching load for each FTE faculty in their department funded by the program. In the case of degree programs with very specific content, the faculty funded by the degree may teach exclusively in the degree.

Some colleges and schools may have more restrictive policies for faculty compensation in fee-based degrees than the information outlined above. If so, please follow the appropriate school or college guidelines.


When using professional staff to teach credit courses in fee-based degree programs, the staff must have a faculty appointment from an academic unit. Excess compensation for professional staff should follow the University Human Resources and the University Academic Human Resources policies and procedures.

The academic unit must make payroll entries in Workday for all staff teaching in fee-based degree programs.


Graduate students enrolled in fee-based degree graduate students programs can qualify for teaching assistant, research assistant and graduate service assistant appointments. Graduate student appointments for instruction in fee-based degree programs are managed by the academic unit and paid on the program’s budget.

For more detailed information about graduate students and course fee responsibilities, see the UW Office of Planning and Budgeting Brief: “Criteria for Course Payment for Graduate Students in Fee-Based Degree Programs.”


Appropriate academic units must review all fee-based courses and academic personnel assigned to provide instruction, both credit and noncredit, each time a course is offered. The following guidelines are used for the appointment and assignment of academic personnel.

Academic units must appoint or assign faculty members and teaching assistants to credit-bearing courses in:

  • Any undergraduate degree program, any graduate degree program or any graduate-level course listed in the UW Time Schedule
  • Any standalone credit courses listed in the UW Time Schedule or designed primarily for UW matriculated students

The UW Continuum College may appoint or assign an extension lecturer1 or instructional assistant to Continuum College-administered courses when the courses are:

  • Noncredit bearing
  • Credit-bearing but designed for a nonmatriculated audience and not included in the UW Time Schedule (e.g., UW in the High School courses)
  • Credit-bearing, included in the UW Time Schedule and designed to address proficiency requirements (e.g., English as a Second Language)

1 Faculty Code Section 24-36 requires that persons giving instruction in extension classes offered for academic credit shall have scholarly and professional qualifications equivalent to those required for the teaching of regular University classes.